Monday, April 5, 2010

"The foolish man built his house upon the sand"


The foolish man built his house upon the sand,

The foolish man built his house upon the sand,

The foolish man built his house upon the sand,

And the rains came tumbling down.


The rains came down, and the floods came up

The rains came down, and the floods came up,

The rains came down, and the floods came up,

And the house on the sand washed away.


So this weekend was General Conference, and if you aren't familiar with our family tradition, we usually try to go to the Doghouse to watch it. Whether it's April or October, the Doghouse is always beautiful around Conference time. Most of the time we invite a bunch of friends to come up and watch conference with us, because then we play and have fun in between sessions, but this time Conference happened to fall on Easter weekend and most people were spending the weekend with their families.
I loved Conference! Half of the time it felt like the speaker had written his talk just for me, as if he or she were directly addressing me, and no one else. I especially love priesthood session, because we get to watch it at the Yermo chapel, which is about the size of maybe two classrooms in a normal church building. It is very quaint and always has a special spirit about it!




This Conference, our family tried something new! It's all my Grandpa's fault really! A few months ago he purchased this little Polaris Razor (like a dune-buggy) and has been bugging my dad to get one ever since. So I guess Dad finally caved, because he bought one and picked it up Friday evening. We used to go out exploring the beautiful desert landscape on quads when Andrea and I were younger, but it's been several years since we have done it as a family. Riding through the sand dunes in the desert, makes me feel as if I'm on another planet, or a whole different dimension. It is beautiful and strange all at the same time.




















Anyways, we took a little trip down to the river bed, where the sand had overtaken several houses and it made me think of the primary song. Maybe it was just because I was listening to General Conference, but it seemed like the perfect illustration of what happens when you don't have a strong foundation.




It was way cool to explore and I can't wait to go out again before it starts getting too hot!



2 comments:

In The Doghouse said...

I still can't believe people actually built a house out there... what is up with that?

Unknown said...

WOW! I want to ride in a dune buggy!! How cool. Conference was def great. Glad I found your blog =)